Sunday, October 3, 2010

Haven't made much of a dent in my reviews!

You may notice some short, not very detailed reviews. But it's been so long since I've read these suckers, it's hard to remember what I've read! Plus I've read SO many books. But I'm giving it my best shot.


Wait for Dusk (The Fifth Dark Days Novel) by Jocelynn Drake

There is no sanctuary in the night…

Feared even by her own kind for her mastery of fire, the Nightwalker Mira is summoned by the Coven to take her rightful place as Elder. But with this honor comes grave responsibility—a commitment to the annihilation of the unleashed naturi. For now the foul creatures walk the earth—and neither vampire nor human will survive their horrific onslaught.

A tide of blood is sweeping relentlessly across the European continent, as Mira is dispatched to Budapest for the most devastating test yet of her astonishing powers—and falls into a well-laid trap. With the dark secrets that haunt her growing darker by the hour, she must confront the terrible truth of her past and protect her fragile sanity in the face of unanticipated treachery—a betrayal by her ally, her enemy, her lover…the vampire slayer, Danaus.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

First of all, let's address the cover of this book...WTF? Just what is Mira attempting to do here? Trying to get Danaus's entire face into her mouth? This doesn't look like passion - it looks like cannibalism! But on to the story...I just adore this series, but for some reason I had the hardest time getting into this one. I would read a little bit, but then put it down and read something else. And I did this repeatedly. But then I made myself sit and read it. Really, it was a great story. I know this series is considered Urban Fantasy, but I was happy to FINALLY get some lovin' between Mira and Danaus! I've been waiting forever for that. The politics and infighting of Mira taking her position as Elder was interesting, as was her father - definitely not dear old dad! It will be interesting to see if Drake can still keep this series fresh with her next installment.

My Rating: ****


Demon From The Dark (Immortals After Dark) by Kresley Cole

A dangerous demon she can't resist...

Malkom Slaine: tormented by his sordid past and racked by vampiric hungers, he's pushed to the brink by the green-eyed beauty under his guard.

A maddening witch he aches to claim...

Carrow Graie: hiding her own sorrows, she lives only for the next party or prank. Until she meets a tortured warrior worth saving.

Trapped together in a savage prison...

For them to survive, Malkom must unleash both the demon and vampire inside him. When he becomes the nightmare his own people feared, will he lose the woman he craves body and soul?

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

Now THIS is a cover I can get into! YUM! And Malkom? A tortured alpha male to sigh over. I loved the demon/vampire (vemon?) combo. Carrow herself has a bit of sad history, but covers it with being a smartass. One thing I love about this series is that Cole can have hot tortured heroes and heroines, but she also provides humor. Oh, and sex. Very hot sex. Wonderful addition to this series. And we are introduced to the hero in her next book - I can't wait!

My Rating: *****


The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros

AN INNOCENT WOMAN

Emmaline Marlow is about to wed the ancient patriarch of the Hepburn clan to save her father from debtor's prison when the Hepburn's sworn enemy Jamie Sinclair bursts into the abbey on a magnificent black horse and whisks her away. Jamie is everything her bridegroom is not--young, handsome, virile...and a perilous temptation for her yearning heart.

A DANGEROUS MAN

Jamie expects Emma to be some milksop English miss, not a spirited beauty who will defy him at every turn. All of his plans to use her as a pawn in the centuries old Highland feud begin to go awry when irresistible passion flares between the two of them. A man can kidnap a bride, but is it possible for him to steal her innocence without losing his own heart?

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I do love my Scottish historical romances! I've enjoyed the few Medeiros books I've read, so I wanted to try this. Glad I have more by her. I really enjoyed Emma's character - she's definitely not a wilting English rose! And Jamie? Well, if a hot guy on a horse is going to interrupt your wedding, hope he's like Jamie. This was a lovely romance with some humor thrown in.

My Rating: ****


Sin Undone (Demonica, Book 5)

HER TOUCH IS DEADLY

As the only female Seminus demon ever born, master assassin Sinead Donnelly is used to being treated like an outcast. She spent decades enslaved, and now vows she’ll die before she’ll relinquish her freedom again. Then Sin’s innate ability to kill her enemies goes awry: She creates a lethal new werewolf virus that sparks a firestorm of panic and violence.

HIS HUNGER CAN’T BE DENIED

Half-werewolf, half-vampire Conall Dearghul is charged with bringing in Sin to face punishment for the plague. And she’s no stranger: He’s bound to her by blood, and the one sexual encounter they shared has left him hungering for her raw sensuality. Worse, Sin is the underworld’s most wanted and Con soon learns he’s the only one who can help her . . . and that saving her life might mean sacrificing his own.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

To me, the release of a new Larissa Ione book is a cause for celebration! She's one of my absolutely favorite authors, up there with J. R. Ward, Kresley Cole and Sherrilyn Kenyon. This is the 5th book of the series, and it was as fresh, hot and entertaining as the first. Ione really knows how to write sympathetic, strong characters, and both Sin and Con fit the bill. This one had everything I look for in a paranormal romance. And it's HOT. Ione is starting a new series, and I can't wait!

My Rating: *****


Knight in My Bed by Sue-Ellen Welfonder

As chieftain of the Clan MacInnes, Lady Isolde will do anything to protect her people -- including sacrifice herself to the enemy. Donall the Bold, laird of the hated MacLeans, lies locked in her dungeon awaiting execution. But rather than slay him, Isolde comes up with a daring plan to forge a lasting peace between their clans.

Though Donall curses his beautiful captor, only a madman would refuse to savor the pleasures beneath that tantalizing aura of dignity and grace. But Isolde offers a mere covenant ... and Donall craves nothing less than total conquest. Vowing to steal her heart and take his freedom, the renowned warrior instead will find himself in a different kind of prison -- one made of sweet, decadent passion, and one he may never wish to escape.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I have trouble finding books by this author in my local Books-A-Million store and used book store. And it's a shame, because I've enjoyed the books I have been able to find by her. She knows how to write a good medieval Scottish romance. This is an entertaining story of revenge, surrender, and the desire for peace. Donall and Isolde keep the pages steamy.

My Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment