Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm trying to catch up....slowly but surely!


Never Resist Temptation by Miranda Neville

A woman on the run

Beautiful, spirited Jacobin de Chastelux would have been the perfect prize for any man . . . but she never imagined one would win her at a game of cards! When she learns that her dissolute, dastardly uncle and guardian had wagered her virtue—and lost­—she flees. A cunning disguise and her culinary talents land her in the royal kitchen as a chef. All is well until her uncle is poisoned by one of her desserts. Jacobin must escape again . . . to the home of the very man who won her in that infamous game!

Lord Storrington knows nothing of Jacobin's true identity. All he knows is that things are heating up­—and the sparks aren't coming from the stove. A delicious ecstasy tempts the scoundrel and the chef . . . one that can only end with sweet, sweet surrender.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

Once you suspend belief that this beautiful woman was able to disguise herself as a man as she worked among many men as a chef, it's quite a fun book. Pretty darn good for a debut novel. Sprinkled throughout with some recipes (Jacobin was a pastry chef), this was a lighthearted romance with a bit of mystery. And I admit Anthony's love of "little puffy things" made me smile.

My Rating: ****


Bound by Darkness (Soul Gatherer, Book 2) by Annette McCleave

Death's warriors guard against demon soul thieves for one chance at redemption...Desire be damned.

Bound together by burning desire and a similar darkness in their hearts, Soul Gatherers Brian Webster and Lena Sharpe race against time to take back from a demon ancient coins that could destroy civilization. But as the truth behind a deadly bargain Lena made surfaces, Brian is faced with a desperate choice-save the one, or save the many.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

With the Soul Gatherer series, Ms. McCleave has become one of my favorite authors. Though not quite as captivating as the first book, this one starts off with a bang and keeps the action going throughout most of the book. The characters from the first book are still featured quite a bit here, which just added to my enjoyment. My only issue was that I didn't find Brian and Lena to be that scorching as a couple - though troubled by the past, Brian was just such a nice guy, and the sparks didn't leap off the page when he was with Lena. But the story was great, and there's so much potential for great future installments in this series.

My Rating: ****


A Night of Secrets (Night, Book 1) by Lori Brighton

Grayson Bellamont has spent years on the Continent, fighting a war he cares nothing for. It is only while in the chaos of battle that he can hide what he truly is, a vampire. Returning to England, he finds his sister murdered and his seven-year-old niece missing. All over the country vampires are mysteriously dying. Grayson sets out to uncover the truth and locate his niece before it’s too late. All leads point to Meg James, a vicar’s daughter. Instinct tells him Meg is innocent, but the clues he uncovers warn she’s guilty. One thing is clear, Meg awakens a warmth inside of him he thought long dead and Grayson is torn between a sense of duty and his desires.

Vowing to honor a promise, Meg concocts a lie to keep a stranger’s child safe. She had no idea that protecting the child would mean putting her own life in danger. When Grayson arrives asking questions, Meg’s unease flares. Who is this mysterious man who seems to appear and disappear as quickly as a spirit? A man with strength like no other? As he pushes ever closer, taking over her senses with his touch, his kiss and his unexpected honor, she realizes she has even more to lose. Meg is falling in love with Grayson, but will he believe her when the truth will condemn the one person he trusts the most?

(Information courtesy of Amazon.com)

Having really enjoyed Ms. Brighton's "Wild Heart", I snatched this one up when I saw it. Not only did the author's name catch my eye, but so did the beautiful cover. And the fact that it was a historical paranormal romance was just icing on the cake. I thought this was a great story, and I'm eagerly awaiting another one in this series. I fell in love with Grayson along with Meg. I thought the idea that Grayson was a soldier in a war to hide that he was a vampire was a unique one. I very quickly got caught up in this story and couldn't put it down. Great chemistry, together with a compelling mystery, kept me highly entertained.

My Rating: **** 1/2


The Darkest Hour (KGI, Book 1) by Maya Banks

Intelligence: high. Body: hard. Mission: what no one else can do.

It's been a year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly saw his wife Rachel alive. Now he's received an anonymous phone call claiming Rachel is alive. To find her, Ethan will have to dodge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I usually read paranormal and historical romances, but I read good reviews of this series, so I figured I'd give it a try when I found this book in my used bookstore. The result? I immediately bought the other books available so far in this series for my Kindle. First of all, I love my alpha heroes...and what could be better than a series based on a whole family of alpha heroes? Ethan was a depressed mess at the beginning of the story, feeling horrible and guilty over the death of his wife - and it turns out she was still alive. Withdrawing from drugs she was forced to take during captivity, she can't remember a lot from her prior life. Ethan struggles with guilt over their prior life. With action, suspense, deep emotions and family drama, this is a phenomenal start to this series.

My Rating: **** 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment