Monday, November 8, 2010

The books are piling up again!

There's no hope for me. Too busy reading and buying books to keep up with my reviews. But at least the pile is smaller than usual! I got 18 books from BAM online last week, and was in heaven. There are so many freaking good books coming out. Wish it would slow down just a bit - gets expensive!

Let's get started....


Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, Book 3) by Suzanne Enoch

Lord Bramwell Johns is a wastrel, a rake, a scoundrel...and proud of it. The second son of the Duke of Levonzy, Bram is bored enough and reckless enough to break into the homes of his peers just for the excitement. But then he overhears a couple arranging the marriage of their daughter to an even more notorious rake than Bram...Lady Rosamund likes to think of herself as practical. If she has to marry, a titled rake is better than a penniless gentleman. But what about an untitled rake? For suddenly Brams appears everywhere she is, and doing his best to sweep her off her feet. If Rose isn't careful, she may believe that reformed rakes really do make the best husbands...

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I enjoyed the first 2 books in this series, and I was looking forward to this one because I found Bram to be the most intriguing of the 3 notorious gentlemen. And it was good....but a bit anticlimatic, I believe. He was bad for the sake of being bad because he was bored. And really, he didn't seem all that bad to me. But the chemistry between Rose and Bram was great, and the story was entertaining enough.

My Rating: ****



The Hawk (Highland Guard, Book 2) by Monica McCarty

Erik MacSorley is unrivaled on the seas, a brilliant seafarer who has never encountered a wind he could not harness nor a woman he could not win—until he drags a wet, half-naked “nursemaid” out of the waters off the Irish coast. Ellie’s ordinary appearance belies the truth: she is in fact Lady Elyne de Burgh, the spirited daughter of the most powerful noble in Ireland, and a close ally of the English king. Worse, this confounding, fascinating, irresistible woman is determined to prove herself immune to his charms—a challenge he cannot resist.

Her captor may look every inch a powerful, rugged warrior, but Ellie vows it will take more than a twinkle in his blue eyes and a wickedly suggestive caress to impress her. Erik is as wild and untamed as the wind, sweeping away her resistance with a desire that resonates deep within her heart. Still, he is a man driven by loyalty, and she is a woman with secrets that could threaten his mission and jeopardize Bruce’s chance to reclaim his throne. As the battle for king and country sounds across the shores, will Ellie’s love be enough to finally tame the legend known as the Hawk?

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I thought the first book in this series, The Chief, was great, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this sucker. And it was sooooooooo good! Erik was one of the hottest, irresistible alpha males in historical Highlander fiction that I've read so far. Hot and charming - what more could you ask for? Ellie was a great heroine. Liked that she wasn't the usual great beauty, but she was strong and feisty. This is an awesome series so far. Don't miss it!

My Rating: *****


Silver Nights by Jane Feather

Beguiling beauty Princess Sophia Golitskova is issued a royal summons to appear in Moscow, only to discover she is to marry a cruel and evil general. But when she succumbs to her passion for Count Adam Danilevski, who cherishes her proud spirit, she has no idea how much her forbidden love will cost.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

This is NOT the cover of my edition of the book. I couldn't find my cover anywhere! It had a gorgeous blonde woman on the cover - who was nothing like the author described Sophia. This book was interesting in that it took place in Russia during Catherine's reign. (I read this shortly after I got back from my vacation in Russia, so it was cool that I knew the places that were described!) It was a captivating story, and Sophia and Adam had beautiful chemistry. I had one major complaint, and I know this is going to make me sound bad...but I prefer the sex in my romance books to be a bit more explicit. When reading this, I kept thinking "did they actually have sex or not?" Don't leave me in doubt! But it was still a great love story.

My Rating: ****


Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, Book 1) by Lorraine Heath

Known throughout London for his prowess in the bedroom, Morgan Lyons, the 8th Earl of Westcliffe, cannot forgive an unpardonable affront to his honor. Discovering his young bride in the arms of his brother was a staggering blow–so he banished the beautiful deceiver to the country and devoted himself to the pursuit of carnal pleasure.

Claire Lyons was an innocent, frightened girl on her wedding day, seeking chaste comfort from a childhood friend. Now, years later, she has blossomed magnificently and has returned to London with one goal in mind: the seduction of her notorious husband. Unskilled in the sensual arts, she burns nonetheless for the kisses too long denied her. And she has but one Season to win back the heart of the rogue she betrayed.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

This is the first book I've read by Lorraine Heath. Figured this was a good one to start with, since it was the first in a new series. I'll definitely be reading the next one. There was nothing spectacular about this story; it was just a lot of fun, and sexy. I wanted to smack Morgan for being stupid, though I found myself rooting for him. When you want some light, fast reading, check this out.

My Rating: ****


Ecstasy in Darkness (Alien Huntress Series) by Gena Showalter

New York Times bestselling sensation Gena Showalter enthralls with a dark, tantalizing world of humans, otherworlders, powers beyond imagining, and a seductive vampire undone by his insatiable hunger for one woman. . . .Growing up poor on New Chicago’s meanest streets, Ava Sans had two options: be the predator or be the prey. No contest. Now, working for Alien Investigation and Removal, she’s been ordered to capture the biggest, baddest warrior of all—a vampire too beautiful to be real, with the abilityto manipulate time. Once the leader of the entire vampire army, McKell has been deemed savage and unstable, spurned even by his own kind.To McKell, humans should be nothing more than sustenance. Yet the petite, golden-skinned Ava is a fascinating contradiction—vicious yet witty, strong yet vulnerable, lethal but fiercely loyal. Against his better judgment, McKell craves that loyalty, and much more. When the chase leads to seduction, McKell and Ava will race to discover the truth about his past. But the answers will come at a price, even for a woman who thought she had nothing left to lose. . . .

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I put off reading this series for a while after I started reading paranormal romance. Sounded too "science fiction-y" to me. So glad I changed my mind and decided to give it a try. This is an awesome series! First off, this is one fantastic cover. I could stare at it all day. We were introduced to McKell in a previous book, and he sounded intriguing. And he definitely was here! So very, very hot! Ava was a great kick-ass heroine. One of the things I adored about this book was the humor. I'd be reading any all of a sudden would notice I had a big smile on my face. Showalter does a perfect blend here of sensuous romance, action, story and humor. I simply adore her.

My Rating: *****


Entice Me At Twilight (Doomsday Brethren, Book 4) by Shayla Black

Simon Northam, the Duke of Hurstgrove, straddles two worlds. Born into the British peerage and a life of luxury, he believed he knew who and what he was—until he found out he was a wizard. As a new member of the Doomsday Brethren, Duke must conceal his new identity from his family…and from his brother’s betrothed, Elisabeth, the woman he wants as his mate. But there’s more to Elisabeth than Duke knows—she’s an Untouchable, a human completely immune to magic. And evil wizard Mathias needs her to help him resurrect an ancient witch. Now, Duke must find a way to stop Mathias, protect Elisabeth, and make her his mate before it’s too late.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

This book had a gorgeous cover. Seriously, that really adds to the enjoyment of the entire reading experience for me. Need a reading break? Stare at the cover for a bit! Anyhoo.....This is another one of my favorite series. Black has quite the talent for writing sensual scenes. (Just pick up one of her erotica books and see for yourself!) Though not quite as graphic, they are very well written and sexy. This was another thoroughly enjoyable addition to the series. I simply loved Duke. Elisabeth, I must admit, got on my last nerve. Yes, I can totally understand being afraid after being deeply hurt. But damn! Duke was hot, rich, and loved her. Get over it already, Elisabeth!

My Rating: **** 1/2


Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (Highland Pleasures, Book 2) by Jennifer Ashley

Six years ago, eighteen-year-old Lady Isabella Scranton scandalized all of London by eloping the night of her come-out ball with the notorious rake, Lord Mac Mackenzie. After three turbulent years of marriage, she scandalized London once again--this time by leaving him.

Now the reformed Mac has returned, and he wants one thing: Isabella back in his life, his house, his bed. He'll do anything he has to, play any game, as long as he gets her back. Isabella resists, but when she agrees to pose for erotic paintings he's been working on, she realizes her body has never stopped craving her husband’s very skilled touch. Mac is determined to show Isabella that he's a changed man, but three years without her has only increased his hunger for her.

When an ingenious forger with designs on Mac's paintings, and Isabella herself, comes dangerously near, Mac sets himself up as Isabella’s protector and vows to never leave her side, whether his independent and proud lady likes it or not.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

This book is a follow-up to "The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie". That was one of my favorite books - Ashley certainly knows how to write a tortured, sympathetic hero. I was thrilled to find out this was a continuation of the series, this time centering around Ian's brother Mac. Oh, how I loved Mac! Yes, he certainly had a lot he needed to make up for, and did a remarkable job of it. He absolutely made me melt! You SO want these two to get back together; they're perfect for each other. By turns sad, funny, sweet and hot, this is one fantastic historical romance. Can't wait to read Cam's story!

My Rating: *****


Seducing the Duchess by Ashley March

Gambling. Carousing. Flirting. Charlotte, Duchess of Rutherford, will do anything to escape her painful marriage and force her husband to divorce her. But when Phillip, Duke of Rutherford, promises a divorce if Charlotte will help him become a better husband for another woman, she wonders if she really wants to lose him...

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

This is the debut novel of Ashley March, and I think she got off to a very good start. I admit it did take a while to get into the story. In the beginning, these were NOT very likeable people! You could understand why they were no longer together. However, as the story went along and more things came to light, they began to grow on me. Especially Phillip! Yum. Definitely looking forward to March's next novel.

My Rating: ****


Demonkeepers (A Novel of The Final Prophecy, Book 4) by Jessica Andersen

Lucius is an Indiana Jones wannabe who never quite measures up until a twist of magic brings him powers beyond belief … and reunites him with Jade, the one-night stand he never forgot. Despite the sizzling chemistry between them—and the added power that comes with a love match—Jade is determined to prove that she can be a Nightkeeper warrior in her own right. But as the two race to rescue the sun god himself from the underworld, they learn that kicking ass isn’t enough. They’ll need all their brains and skill—and the love, long denied, that burns between them—to foil the dark lords’ plot.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I wasn't too sure about reading this installment of the series - I didn't care for Lucius in the previous books. However, he did redeem himself in this one. Jade was a great heroine, trying to overcome her destiny and become a warrior. Some of the world building in this series is a bit confusing, but it's still fun. I gave up trying to keep it all straight; it just gave me a headache. Now I'm just enjoying the romance and rooting for the good guys.

My Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment