Saturday, January 1, 2011

I appear to be on a roll today


Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, Book 4) by Lara Adrian

In a world of shadows and dark, cosuming hungers, desire is the deadliest weapon...

For journalist Dylan Alexander, it began with the discovery of a hidden tomb, thrusting her into the center of a gathering storm of violence and secrets. But nothing is as dangerous as the scarred, lethally seductive man who rises from the shadows to draw her into his world of dark desire and endless night.

Fueled by pain and rage over a shattering betrayal, the warrior Rio has pledged his life to the war against the Rogues. He will let nothing stand in his way—least of all a mortal woman with the power to expose the entire vampire race. For an ancient evil has been awakened, and a stunning darkness is on the rise. Suddenly Dylan is powerless to resist Rio’s touch, even as she uncovers a shocking link to her own past. And now she must choose: Leave Rio’s midnight realm, or risk it all for the man who has shown her true passion and the infinite pleasures of the heart. . . .

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

Another great story in the Midnight Breed stories. I do admit I was just a tiny bit disappointed, and I'm not sure why. I guess it's because I so wanted to read Rio's story that I was expecting way too much. That happens with me with series. However, I still enjoyed it immensely. Rio was such a tragic figure, and he more than anyone else deserved his happily ever after. And he found his perfect Breedmate in Dylan. The storyline really progressed a great deal in this book, which I think will lead to many exciting stories for our continued enjoyment.

My Rating: **** 1/2


Broken Wing by Judith James

Set during the chaotic beginnings of Napoleon's rule, this saga tells the story of Gabriel St. Croix, a street survivor searching for a place to belong. Abandoned as a child and raised in a brothel, he has never known friendship or affection. Hiding physical and emotional scars behind an icy façade, his only relationship is with a young boy he has spent the last five years protecting from the brutal reality of their environment. But all that is about to change. The boy's family has found him, and they are coming to take him home. Sarah Munroe blames herself for her brother's disappearance. When he's located, safe and unharmed despite where he has been living, Sarah vows to help the man who rescued and protected him in any way she can. With loving patience she helps Gabriel face his demons and teaches him to trust in friendship and love. But when the past catches up with him, Gabriel must face it on his own. Becoming a mercenary, pirate, and professional gambler, he travels to London, France, and the Barbary Coast in a desperate attempt to find Sarah again. On the way, however, he will discover the most dangerous journey and the greatest gamble of all is within the darkest reaches of his own heart.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I just cannot fathom anyone NOT giving this book their highest rating! (Yeah, yeah, I know...different tastes.) This one grabbed a hold of me and wouldn't let me go. It seriously pulled at my heartstrings. It was a hard book to read, but so worthwhile. So many scenes made me sob! Gabriel was one of the most unique characters I've ever come across in a historical romance. He was forced into prostitution as a child, and he used cutting in an attempt to feel in control. Sarah was a wonderful heroine, her love helping him overcome his tragic past. When they got separated, it just about killed me! But loves does conquer all! After I get this book back from a friend, it's going on my keeper shelf.

My Rating: *****


The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, Book 1) by Michele Sinclair

BOUND BY DUTY
Highland laird Conor McTiernay had always dreamed of an enduring love. But the reality of women who desired him only for his title and lands made him swear off marriage forever. That is until he first set eyes on the Englishwoman his men found hiding in the forest. Beneath the dirt and grime it was clear Laurel Cordell was beautiful. But would she prove to be yet another beguiling seductress or had Conor finally found the one woman who could lay claim to his heart?

DRAWN BY DESIRE
Laurel trusted that the Scottish chieftain would keep her safe from the cruel laird from whom she had escaped. Looking deep into Conor's silver eyes she saw not only his calculating warrior ways but his quick arousal to passion. But before they can explore the growing desire between them, their newfound love is threatened by secrets from her past.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I want my own hot Highlander!!! Please? Just don't tell my hubby! This was a great start to this series. Conor was jaded, being used to women wanting him only for his position and property. (I myself would want him for his hot body, but I digress.) When his group runs into Laurel as she is escaping, Conor is immediately drawn to her. The building passion between the two is nicely done, and adds a great deal to the story. As Laurel's secrets start to catch up with her, their love is put to the test. I'm looking forward to the next two books.

My Rating: ****


Devoured by Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, Book 7) by Alexandra Ivy

They are the Guardians of Eternity, strong, skilled, seductive vampires chosen to protect—and to destroy. And they will risk anything to fulfill their duty, and satisfy their desires...

Tane is a Charon, sworn to hunt and kill rogue vampires. His new assignment seems like a waste of his talents—until he catches up with the jinn he's been sent to capture. Half human, half demon, Laylah has a vulnerable streak that strikes right through to Tane's cold heart. He should be furious when she uses her powers to bind them together, preventing him from dragging her before the Commission. Instead he welcomes any reason to stay close enough to touch, to taste, to seduce...

Laylah doesn't know why she was chosen to protect a child who may be the catalyst in a war between good and evil. But the mysteries of her past pale compared to the dangers approaching. Tane is devastatingly strong, breathtakingly sensual. And Laylah will have to trust in every ounce of that strength, because her enemies are drawing near, eager to destroy them both...

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

Another one of my favorite series, a new book by Ivy is cause for celebration with me. Though I had trouble picturing Tane to be the incredibly hot guy that he was supposed to be. To me, a guy with a shaved head except for a long mohawk just isn't appealing. The dude on the cover doesn't sound much like the description, does he? And apparently he doesn't own a shirt or shoes. Don't know why that bothers me. LOL. I do admit that the chemistry between Tane and Laylah is extremely potent, and certain scenes are very hot. Laylah is a fantastic heroine. I always enjoy seeing characters from previous books making an appearance. And Levet the gargoyle owns my heart. The story continues to progress wonderfully from one book to the next.

My Rating: ****


Caleb (The Shadow Wranglers, Book 1) by Sarah McCarty

Allie always desired mysterious, sexy rancher Caleb Johnson, but he never seemed to notice her. Until the night she's attacked by a vicious animal, and rescued by a shapeshifting vampire that she almost seems to recognize: the baritone growl, the mesmerizing eyes, the inexplicable animal attraction. That's because her savior is Caleb, and now he has no choice but to bring Allie into the shadows with him-to protect her from a rival werewolf pack, and to finally reveal his true feelings for the woman he's been afraid to love.

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

Ranchers! Vampires! Ranchers who are vampires! Yep, hell of a fun premise and story. It starts out with a bang, when Allie is attacked by a "wolf" and saved by Caleb. Allie is quickly drawn into the world of vampires and her increasing attraction to Caleb. Allie can be annoying at times, but I liked that she dealt with her fear and uncertainty with humor. And Caleb was just so freaking yummy. (I really like the cover of this book - helped me to get a good picture of him in my mind.) The next book in the series is Jared (Caleb's brother - we're introduced to him here). Will be reading that soon.

My Rating: ****


Defiant by Jessica Trapp

She Forced His Hand

Three years ago Jared St. John was imprisoned, wrongly, for the murder of his own brother. Now, finally free, he wishes only to live in peace, hoping to heal the darkness that plagues his soul. But his self-inflicted isolation is destroyed when he is drugged, spirited away to a church, and forced to marry a brazen enchantress against his will...

He Captured Her Heart

Lady Gwyneth of Windrose knows something of false imprisonment, but that doesn't stop her from abducting a stranger when it's her only hope of gaining her liberty. Yet the moment she's alone in her unwilling new husband's powerful presence, everything Gwyneth thought she knew of men—and of seduction—falls by the wayside. For the first time in her life, it's not freedom Gwyneth craves...but to give herself over to unyielding passion...

(Information courtesy of Goodreads.com)

There was nothing really remarkable about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a fast, fun, fluff read, though. And sometimes that's all you want. I will definitely read more of her books.

My Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment