Saturday, July 31, 2010

Are you impressed?!

Hey, just finished this book and thought I'd go ahead and post! (Hmmm, let's see how long THIS lasts, eh?)


Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale

The Duke of Jervaulx was brilliant -- and dangerous. Considered dissolute, reckless, and extravagant, he was transparently referred to as the "D of J" in scandal sheets. But sometimes the most womanizing rakehell can be irresistible, and even his most casual attentions fascinated the sheltered Maddy Timms. Then one fateful day she receives the shocking news -- the duke is lost to the world. And Maddy knows it is her destiny to help him and her only chance to find the true man behind the wicked façade. But she never dreamed her gentle, healing touch would alter his life and her own so completely -- and bind them together in need, desire ... and love.

(Information courtesy of Shelfari.com)

This book has been referred to as one of the best loved romances of all time, so I found it at the used bookstore. Took me forever to read, but it sure was worth it! It was a very difficult book to read because of the subject matter. The Duke had a stroke, and was put in a mental institution. This was in the 1800's, so "treatment" was like torture. Kinsale gets across perfectly how lost and frustrated Christian felt. I hurt along with him. And though Maddie saved him, at times I wanted to slap her silly. I could understand how everything went against the religion she practiced her entire life, but sometimes.... well, just grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But I adored Christian and found him to be the perfect tortured hero. I DARE YOU to get through the last 2 chapters without crying. Bet you can't!

My rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment